World Environment Day is observed on June 5 to encourage people to be aware of and take action to protect Earth. It aims to raise people’s awareness of different environmental issues confronting the planet, such as global warming, pollution, crime against wildlife, and sustainable consumption of resources. The day is observed in more than 143 countries each year.
People celebrate World Environment Day by supporting and promoting different environmental issues. Action can be taken anywhere—at home, at school, in the community, in the workplace, and more.
Here are just a few ways to honor World Environment Day on the job:
- Take the bus to and from work – Instead of guzzling gas by driving your car to work every day, use public transportation to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Print on both sides – Although this may not be required by your company, start printing on both sides of the paper. You will be able to reduce paper use, saving trees in the process.
- Repurpose paper – Don’t want to print on both sides? You can still save waste and collect documents that are no longer needed to use for scratch paper.
- Switch off unnecessary lights – Turn off lights at or near your desk when you leave to go to lunch or attend meetings.
- Motivate colleagues – During lunch and coffee breaks, talk to fellow workers to invite them to take steps to keep the environment clean.
This planet can only be preserved through the united efforts of many. Be an example, and invite others to follow.